Monday, May 26, 2014

Cascade, Roses

Create a lovely backdrop with this simple DIY. 


Crochet's versatility lends itself to a variety of applications. The chain stitch, the foundational technique, is great for everything from organization to accessory creation, even without incorporating other crochet stitch techniques.

I'm making decorations for a friend's wedding by crocheting simple chain stitches with thick, paper twine and wrapping faux flowers around some of the stitches. Inside the flowers are tiny bells, in order for this decoration to contribute to the wedding's musical landscape, as well!

In addition to paper twine and faux flowers, you'll also need:

- embroidery thread
- an embroidery needle
- a large crochet hook. I think I used size S-35, but unfortunately my hook doesn't have its size written on it.
- scissors


First remove the faux flowers from their stems. Many faux flowers have a hole right in the middle, so you'll want to be sure to remove any obstructions to that hole.



The craft bells I used were similar to these, and had a tiny opening that made stringing easy. Tie a few knots at the end to secure the string to the bell. 


Then, insert the other end into your embroidery needle, in order to insert the string into your flower.






Create a chain stitch with your paper twine into your desired length. See here for a chain stitch tutorial from Lion Brand Yarn. I used a big crochet hook in order for the individual stitches to be wide enough to comfortably wrap the roses around. It was also much easer to crochet the thick twine with this size hook.


My twine was so thick that it created gorgeous spirals.


Once you've crocheted your desired length, tightly wrap your flowers around the stitches. I randomly chose the stitches to wrap them around. 



Be sure to wrap the flower securely. Once finished, weave the ends using your embroidery needle.


I weave my ends in both directions, in to make sure they're especially secure.



Enjoy your new decorations! Hang them on the tree for fun garden party decor, or create a gorgeous bohemian look indoors.



3 comments:

  1. I really really like this. I have been trying to come up with something like it for a display scheme I am working on. Thank you so much for sharing. ^_^

    ReplyDelete